Search This Blog

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dying With Dignity... So Much To Do.

I had a visit tonight with a friend of mine who says it's IMPERATIVE I write the book of my life and if not, I have a year to make voice recordings of my stories and she'll write it. Either way, I need to leave her a voice recording she can listen to for the rest of her life. She won't be able to come cry on my couch anymore (not that she did that a lot - but, boy trouble - you know) so I need to leave her something. 

You know what THAT means... I'm going to have to do recordings for everyone! I was thinking today of all the letters I'll need to write, as well. My Social Worker was here today and we got my personal directive taken care of, but there's not a lot to know yet. I'll have to do up a proper Will and stuff, but she said to call her back in 6-8 months and she'll give me a lot more inside info. She's on an Ethics committee and works for Alberta Health Services, so she'll be in the know. 

I have been writing to all levels of government to tell them I want to be involved in the SCC ruling conversation, how it will be implemented in Alberta. I want to be at the head of the line! I don't want to wait a year for the doctor-assisted death law to come into effect, just to need another year to get psychiatrists to see me and other doctors and blah blah blah. I've seen comments from some people that are devastated by this news - "what will this mean for my aunt with dementia? With handicapped people who feel pressure to kill themselves? For unborn babies?" PEOPLE! It is a CHOICE. You need to be an adult of sound mind and be able to decide for yourself. 

There's so many questions and comments going around. I'm attending a webinar meeting with Dying With Dignity on March 5. One major problem is, we have a Federal election on October 19. So will they debate it and pass legislation before then, or just leave it for the new government? Things need to be in place by February 6, 2016. The SCC said that even if a law isn't drafted by then, the SCC ruling stands. Whew. 

There's losing your mind when your body is fine, and then there's losing your body when your mind is intact. What's worse? I only know what I'm going through. And I can't WAIT to be able to end this. My Social Worker asked me to describe my pain, and why I don't take something stronger, like narcotics. I don't even know how to describe it. I live life at about a 5 out of 10 on the pain scale, (except for my right arm which is usually an 8) and then about 10-20 times a day I get flashes of it going to 11 - my bladder, muscles, joints - and I do take lots of supplements for that. That couldn't be stopped by a narcotic. And as for my general pain, I take a medication at night that's a narcotic blocker (LDN). I've been on it since 2002. The benefits of LDN (low dose naltrexone) are many, and I can't imagine how much worse I'd be without it. Any little bit of energy I do have, I attribute to that. My fatigue isn't NEARLY as bad as others with MS.  I also don't have the nerve pain so many others complain of. I went off it for a couple weeks when my leg was broken and I needed to take narcotics for pain. The DAY I went back on it, I felt like a human again. I don't want to go without it. I also think if I was on narcotics for pain, that I'd be truly bedridden and unable to transfer without a sling/lift. I'm so dizzy all the time as it is, I don't need that to be worse. 

Anyway, I've got lots to do and think about. A year is a long time I guess, but doesn't Christmas always seem to sneak up on us, unprepared?

No comments:

Post a Comment