Search This Blog

Monday, February 16, 2015

Supreme Court Decision!

I'm very, very happy that on February 6, 2015 the Supreme Court of Canada agreed 100% to overturn the ban on doctor assisted death! I'm so excited about this. What I'm NOT excited about, is that it doesn't come into effect for a (very long) year. AND because our healthcare is run provincially, the provinces need to go about setting up the system how they want, and I live in a very conservative province. I'm a little worried they won't make it easy. The Federal Government can decide to pull rank and change the decision, but they said "it's not likely".  84% of Canadians want this. The SCC law is clear, and I 100% qualify for it. So, I have this year to get my ducks in a row and plan for my death. At least I can see an end to my suffering, and for that I am very, very grateful. 

People who are around me all the time, and especially those who've known me for years and seen the decline, are also happy for me. Except a couple super religious caregivers that I don't plan to mention it to (they may never come back). But it is hard, when someone asks you "so, what's new?" And you FINALLY, for the first time in years, have an answer that doesn't involve caregiver turnover or a new pain or weakness, and it's not appropriate. "What's new? Oh, the SCC is finally going to allow doctor assisted death so I get to die soon!!! I'm so excited!!!" Doesn't really make for a great casual conversation. I really hate that "so, what's new?" question. I'm in pain 24/7 and struggle like hell to get through a day or a night. NOTHING IS NEW WITH ME, EVER. 

I'm sorry if you're not around me 24 hours/day and don't see it. I mean, I'm not SORRY you don't see, but it's hard to understand if you don't. No one, and I do mean NO ONE, has seen what I go through at night. After I'm put to bed and set up for the night by a caregiver, no one sees me until they come back for my morning routine the next day. And the struggles I go through all night are insurmountable. No one sees it. No one hears it. It's horrible, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

The struggles I have while my caregivers are here to help me shower or exercise or whatever, is SO not fun. For anyone. I mean, HCAs are trained and it's their job to help you, but it's hard and painful for all involved. My muscles, that I work so hard to exercise and try to keep strong, get weaker and weaker. Every move is harder and harder for me. I say "owww" or something similar all day and night. I never know when I'm going to choke or cough because my throat just decides to close off and not let me breathe. I need water to get my swallow reflex back and to open things up. It happens a LOT. I never know when my muscles will stiffen and/or spasm to cause me immense pain. Yes, I take meds and supplements for that, which don't seem to work. I get botox shots in my bladder (day surgery 2x/year, LONG, HARD, painful day of being poked & prodded for very little relief). Botox on my most-useless-yet-most-painful limb, my right arm, hasn't worked after two painful tries. 

I went out on Friday night. Yes, it was nice to get out. It was so great to see people I rarely see, and hug people who are amazing and wonderful. But it's Monday night, and I'm still recovering. The whole night, as much as I wanted to just enjoy myself, I was uncomfortable and in pain. I wanted to want to stay, but I just wanted to leave the whole night. I smile, but I'm not feeling it inside. I had to sit in my wheelchair for several hours, which is basically torture for my legs and knees. Getting wheelchair leg lifts is impossible because of my size, unless I get a whole new chair. And since it barely squeezes between doorways now, a new, bigger chair isn't a choice I have. I'm miserable. My life is miserable. 

Any good people see from me, is me covering up what I'm really feeling for their benefit! No one wants to be around a Debbie Downer, so I often put on a brave face. I'm not an inspiration, I'm not 'so strong". Being in pain and suffering for so many reasons because you don't HAVE a choice is not brave or inspiring! Having the choice soon, is such an exciting freedom.

As most people know by now, I attempted suicide last March. Well, I prefer I "wanted my life to end" to the word "suicide". I wrote my goodbye in here, followed by the one where it didn't work (I'd link it, but I can't do that on an iPad app). I'm even worse than that, today.  I am NOT depressed or have any mental illness whatsoever, my actions were completely reasonable and sane, albeit unsuccessful. I was very upset that it didn't work. That I was rushed to the hospital and stayed bedridden there for over two weeks, including a couple days in a psych ward. WORST experience ever! I never fully recovered from that inhumane treatment (staying in basically one position the whole time, no shower, no stretches, no nothing for two weeks). They care more about keeping a body alive than they do about any sort of quality to that life. My visiting caregivers did what they could, from stretches to cleaning me properly to sneaking in homeopathic meds for my RLS. 

My life is over, people! I'm through with hoping for a miracle. I spent years and loads of money on all that stuff - alternative treatments, special diets, positive thinking, visualization, lessons/books/movies/audio by Deepak Chopra, Louise Hay, Wayne Dyer etc. I'm DONE. I am so over it. I'm tired of trying so hard. Except for my exercise which is DAMN hard, but I can't imagine how much worse things would be without that. And my supplements. 

For those of you who convinced me the suicide didn't work for a reason, and that God has a plan for me (I've been hearing that one for so many years now!) I'm here to tell you, this is His plan. I had a great life, but it's been over for a long time. I've gotten so much worse over the past few years, I don't even know where to begin. But let me tell you, my suffering is unbearable, and I can't wait to die so it can end. 

And for other people in my position, are we not THRILLED?!?! So many people are suffering and in pain, and in a year, if we choose, we can end it. Not everyone will make that choice, but I sure will. I don't have a husband, I don't have children. I believe the last time I had sex was in 2006, and I will NEVER have it again. Just imagine that for a moment... Wearing an indwelling Foley catheter, which only caregivers see and clean, and never being touched or held in a loving way again. You can't even cuddle up with yourself, because your body is too paralyzed, stiff, sore or big to move that way. Masturbation isn't even possible. I could go on, but I think you get the picture. 

Yes, I have my cats. I love them. But I will not live for them. They will be taken care of. I will not live for anybody else. I know it will be unbearably hard on my parents, brother, and other people who love me. But I know they will eventually realize that it's the best decision for me to end this hell I've been living in for far, far too long. 

Anyway, it's a year away. It can't come fast enough for me. 

2 comments:

  1. Donna, this is the peace I wish for you!

    You are star stuff and will always be part of the universe. Your light will continue to shine just like that of the stars and that is fabulous.

    "Friends are like stars,
    you can't always see them,
    but you know they are always there."

    May your peace come as soon as possible!!!
    Though it feels EXTREMELY weird (and the deepest level of uncomfortable) to say that, I am VERY excited for you that the unendurable, inhumane pain will finally END. NOBODY should have to live through this, nobody, never.

    I'm so very sorry it all happened this way and took so long for empathy, but I am so deeply happy for you that the unendurable, inhumane pain will end soon and you will have peace. You absolutely deserve the kindness and humanity of peace.
    *love you always*

    ReplyDelete