Search This Blog

Sunday, August 30, 2015

The Plan is in Motion

I think my caregiver Thalia summed it up best: "Losing my job and my best friend on the same day is gonna SUCK". Yes, it is gonna suck. For everyone. 

Writing my own obituary is creepy. But it's happening. My plan is in motion, if everything works out I should be gone in about 3 weeks. I talked to my parents about my plan today. I've never seen my dad cry. I feel horrible for feeling so relieved! I'm happy and excited, yet I cry for the people around me who have to go through this. I still have to make sure of the laws - I figured out a way that I won't need assistance, but I would like my parents and a few friends here that evening if it's not illegal - for people to be in the vicinity and know what's about to happen, and let me. I think my mom wants to be here either way, but I will NOT let her jeopardize her freedom. 

I'm going to be on the CTV National News this week. It's partly about my wish to die, and partly about how the physician assisted death law should be part of the election campaign. Where they stand on the topic is many people's deciding vote on October 19! The Conservative government has already asked for an extension, is very much against it, and are dragging their feet on legislation. Anyway, the news interviewed me and filmed me from head to toe - Thalia was here, so they filmed me transferring into my power wheelchair and going outside. I mean, head to toe, people. All my fat on display. Hella embarrassing, but necessary to give a glimpse of my day. The cameraman was so nice. He hugged us both goodbye and you could see the tears welling up in his eyes. I guess I'm so used to my transfers and how painful they are now, I forget how hard it is for someone else to watch. 

Anyway. The Plan is set, I just have to get my 'stuff" and hope it all works out. 




No comments:

Post a Comment