Search This Blog

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Service Call

I have to write about this because I'm absolutely amazed. There really ARE good people in the world.

My bed broke this morning. I mean, I have a double sized Rotec adjustable bed that raises, lowers, head up, feet up, railings, and a monkey bar overhead. it was $8.000. I can NOT live without this thing. I got it after the "accident" and 4 month hospital stay in 2012/13 when I could no longer walk or stand independently. My caregivers can't work on me if the bed doesn't raise up, I can't get out of bed if it can't be raised up, I can't sleep in a flat bed anymore, (I can't even explain how much worse things have gotten in the past two years) no way, no how. So you know how important this is to me!

Two months ago they finally replaced the circuit board. I had been having problems with it since Day One. Service techs would blame it on the controls or motor and replace those parts under the warranty, but still no luck. Sometimes we up/down/up/down 20 some-odd times before it would finally go. I wrote a scathing letter when they invoiced me for my last visit since I was no longer under warranty. It was the same problem they had NEVER fixed, and this guy didn't even TOUCH the bed, and charged for the visit AND labour. I was furious, and cc'd the makers of the bed in Montreal. I caught the attention of the owner, and FINALLY got the help I needed, and a new circuit board. Everything was fine after that. Until this morning. 

Last night it moved up suuuuuper slow. My caregiver said she noticed it in the morning, when she was making the bed. By this morning, it just stopped moving altogether and made beeping noises when buttons were pushed. I freaked out! I had to be sling/lifted to get out of bed. I called Medichair (who I got the bed through) and their service department told me their mobile techs were too busy to come. I was freaking out, where will I sleep tonight? They said they'd send someone tomorrow. 

In the meantime, Thalia put me in my sling and lifted me to my recliner (there was no way I could stand in the evening, I'm in bed super early even though I'm not asleep. I adjust the bed for watching my iPad) She was planning to come back at 9:00 and lift me to my bed, which after a rubdown I'd try to sleep on my side on a flat bed. I was not looking forward to it. 

Around 7:30 pm I got a surprise call from the service manager at Medichair. I had been emailing with Medichair, telling them they better have a rental I can use while waiting for a parts order, as I'm not going to a hospital!! He mentioned he had a circuit board from a similar bed that might work, and could be here in 40 minutes. WOW HOW AWESOME WAS THAT?! He brought everything over, and was in my room for awhile. He told me the circuit board wouldn't work with this bed, so maybe the batteries were old and he was charging new ones. Thalia arrived to do my bedtime routine, but we just did what we could while we waited. He was finally done close to 10:00 - he said that the batteries were fine; there had been a fuse blown from a power cord that got squished. He's ordering new stuff, but in the meantime he used the cord and fuse from the other bed, even though ithey're not quite right. He set it up so it will work for now!

So Thalia lifted me onto my bed and it's all working again and I get to sleep here! That service manager went ABOVE and BEYOND the call of duty. To come over in the evening, and do all that?! He said he knows how important it is to sleep in your own bed. ANGEL! I've got a large invoice coming my way now, but ohhhhh it's worth the credit card debt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment