Search This Blog

Friday, September 12, 2014

If there wasn't bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!

This is lovely. I had another accident last night. I think it's because of all the stress I've been under, it seems like every day I'm emailing one caregiver to see if they can cover for another caregiver, and hitting up several people for one shift. It's enough to make me cry every day. And stress is bad for everything. 

So anyway, since that "accident" almost 2 years ago, I can't walk. But with assistance, I do a stand/pivot transfer to my wheelchair or bed or whatever. Last night. I was doing my stand/pivot from my wheelchair to my bed, and I basically collapsed. My caregiver was behind my wheelchair pulling it out of the way for me to pivot onto the bed, so I wasn't able to just sit back down in the wheelchair. Instead, I slid to the floor, with my legs buckling under me, and I heard a crack. I asked my caregiver to help me down, straighten out my legs, as fast as possible. She was freaking out, and I was surprisingly calm. I mean, whaddaya do, right? So I'm on my back on the floor. Lucky for me, it was right under my ceiling lift tracking and beside my bed, and my lift can reach the floor. AWESOME. Saved us needing to call 9-1-1. 

So she put the sling under me, and lifted me onto the bed. I knew stuff was sore - my ankle, knee area - but nothing was swelling up. I was safe on my bed and not screaming in pain, so I figured I'd live. We iced my ankle a bit and she did my usual rub down/massage. I tried not to worry about it, but man, sleeping was more difficult than usual. 

This morning, Mabel came in. I told her what had happened the night before, and that I'd probably skip some of my exercises. Every time she needed to move my right leg or touch my ankle I cringed. She suggested going to the hospital, I was stubborn and said no. (I HATE THOSE PLACES AND I USUALLY END UP IN A FACILITY FOR MONTHS!) We put on my air cast (saved from my last break) and I tried to stand. It didn't go well. We managed to get me in my wheelchair, but the thought of standing to get to my recliner was too much. We called 9-1-1. We went over to my exercise table instead, I thought it would be easiest if I was lying on that and Mabel got the sling under me, to lift me onto their stretcher. 

So I did need to stand one more time. I asked Mabel to sort of "push" me onto the exercise table, or at least in that general direction. I'm not even sure how we did it, but we did it. The paramedics arrived, I explained what happened, and I needed x-rays to see if there was a break, or what. They were REALLY nice and helpful. We got me on the stretcher and once I had everything with me, I called my dad to meet me at the hospital so Mabel could just go home. 

At the hospital, things did move pretty fast. The paramedics I had decided to just keep me on their stretcher as I'd probably be going home again, and since their ambulance (and them) were needed by the city, I think that helped speed things up. So I had my x-rays and the doctor told me I had a small fracture in my fibula (again) but it was very stable (thanks to wearing my AFO - again) so I could weight bare as tolerated. I also have a sprained ankle, so that "as tolerated" is pretty bad right now. A lady came and gave me a knee splint and an ankle brace. I KNOW these things cost hundreds of dollars, so I told her I didn't think I needed the knee splint. She said "shhhh... don't tell him that!" And I said "yeah, but then I get the bill..." and she said she wouldn't send me one! So nice. 

I got home, and lifted into my recliner. The paramedics gave me the blanket I had on as well. My dad, who had been at the hospital and came back here shortly after we did, made sure I had my water and a banana (it was almost 3:00 and I hadn't eaten since supper the night before) and then left. Thalia came in about 5:00; the sling is still under me so I just stayed here, and we'll use it tonight to lift me in bed. I already miss being able to use my Chi machine and stand! I'm so uncomfortable in one spot. 

Anyway, I'm headed to bed soon. We'll ice my ankle again and do some massage and I'll hope for a better day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment